New Vacation Rental Rules Now in Effect in Big Bear Lake
Vacation Rental Ordinance Adopted September 16, 2021
The City of Big Bear Lake enacted a new vacation rental ordinance that contains more robust enforcement rules which went into effect on Sept. 16, 2021.
The ordinance includes:
- Guests must sign a Good Neighbor Policy published by the City prior to occupancy. Owners/managers should take a picture of the signed policy and provide it to the Compliance Officer if asked. Failure to provide a copy of the signed policy will result in a citation being issued to owner and/or agent.
- Trash cannot be left at a vacant vacation rental. Guests must take trash to the Clean Bear sites or dispose of trash in commercial bins located at condominium units.
- In-person check-in is required. Advertising a property as having “self check-in” is subject to a $2,500 fine.
- The maximum number of cars allowed at a vacation rental is equal to one per bedroom. The rental agreement and number posted on the exterior sign for maximum cars needs to reflect this limitation.
- Owners and agents must maintain an email account and accept all correspondence from the City via email.
- Guests leaving their dogs at the property to incessantly bark and disturb the neighborhood are subject to a $500 fine.
- Upon license renewal, owners and agents must submit proof of property insurance with the license application.
- Owners and/or agents must be certified by the City annually. The certification test has been updated and can be taken now. All management company staff members involved in check-in, reservations, and 24/7 response must be certified.
- An owner is limited to holding no more than two licenses. (Current holders of more than two are allowed to renew indefinitely.) Owners cannot hold property in more than two LLCs or corporations.
- Licensees making two or more late TOT/TBID remittances within a 12-month period will not be allowed to renew their licenses. They are also subject to penalties and interest on the amount due and may incur a $500 fine. TOT is required to be set apart from other revenue and not co-mingled in personal checking accounts.
- Business licenses are no longer required for owners.
- Affidavits from 24/7 and check-in agents are no longer required.
For more information about the Vacation Rental Program in the City of Big Bear Lake, click here.